From the style of dress and the type of negative, I am guessing the photo was taken in the 1952s. To me, this photo looks like a “yearbook image,” a posed picture.
What do I notice about this photo?
- The girls are all in the front desks. The boys are in the back. In fact, some of the boys are standing.
- The girls are all in dresses. My mom attended school in the 50s. She would tell me stories about only being able to wear dresses or skirts to school, even on the coldest of days. Either type of attire had to be below the knee, or they would be sent home. If they wore pants under their skirts to walk to school, they had to immediately go to the restroom to remove them.
- The boys are mostly wearing plaid shirts with white tee shirts underneath.
- Some of the girls are definitely posing for the photo.
- One of the girls is wearing lipstick. I find this surprising because the dress codes were strict in schools during this time.
- The sign in the back reads, “ART CALLS.” Surrounding the sign is multiple pieces of artwork.
Yes, I wonder why the class is posed for the photo. The image could easily be for the yearbook. Or perhaps, the class had a guest speaker or other event, the photo was taken to remember the occasion.
Let me know what you think.
Until next time…peace